Thursday, January 8, 2009

To Protect and Serve?


I work in the Camp creek marketplace which is located in East Point, GA. One morning I was headed to BJ's to put gas in my car. As I'm making the turn to BJ's my car stops, I tried to crank it, but it was obvious that my car was out of gas. If you are familiar with the Camp Creek marketplace you know that BJ's is directly across from the East Point police precinct. So my car is directly across from the police precinct. It's probably about 9:30 in the morning so the shopping center isn't busy at all. A police officer pulls up and asks "what's going on?". I tell him about my situation and he tells me that he will talk to the other officers about helping to push my car. As I'm waiting I hear the other officers outside talking about my situation. Basically they were saying they weren't going to help me. The first officer finally comes back and he proceeds to tell me "that pushing the car wasn't going to work and that if I didn't move my car it would be towed. So I guess five police officers can't push a car 50 feet? After walking to the gas station, I finally get back to my job about 30 min later. As I'm walking back into my job I see the police officers behind my store playing around on one of those "segways" (waste of time and money). I guess thats why they couldn't help me. They were too "busy" making my community "safe". Is there where my tax dollars go? Now I do take full responsibility for not having enough gas in my car. But I thought it was their job to "serve" and "protect" especially when they have nothing else to do. Maybe my expectations are too high or maybe theirs are just that low. You be the judge.

No comments: