Monday, July 27, 2009

Family First


This past weekend I truly learned a life lesson. Thank goodness I was able to be off work on Saturday so I could spend time with my family. On Saturday my parents had a get together at their house for my uncle (that I see maybe once a year) who was in town for the weekend. Its funny how times change because I used to dread those cookouts and family outings. In the past few years I have a greater appreciation for spending time with my extended family. I actually look forward to those times now. Although I look forward to the times that I spend with my family I still feel like I could do more to keep in contact with them. They all stay in the metro Atlanta area so I really have no excuses. As we were outside shooting the basketball around. I decided that we should get a game going the older cousins vs the younger cousins. When the game the first started I was taking it easy because I was trying to keep my clothes clean and not get sweaty, but as the game went on I really started having fun and I didn't get care anymore about my shoes getting dirty or my clothes getting sweaty. I was enjoying the time with my cousins, something that doesn't happen to often. After the game it made me realize that I need to spend more time with my cousins because I know they look up to me and I want to be a positive influence in their lives. not to mention I can relate to them in ways that their parents can't. I say all this to say if you have people in your life that you care about show them that you care because tomorrow is not promised. It doesn't necessarily have to be your blood relatives. We all have many families, whether its your work family, school family, or friends. I just want to say thank you to all my families (Jackson family, Hayes family, my work family, my Marquee family). The truth is your family will always be there no matter whether you succeed or fail. Your family "keeps it real" with you even when you don't want to hear it. Family is ALWAYS there. You can't run TRUE family away. Your family is your foundation and without a foundation your house (life) will crumble everytime.

No comments: